The question is asked, “What do Christians believe?” This is a good question and depending on who you ask this to, you can get various answers. What do I mean by that you ask? I mean that there are many different groups out there that claim to be Christian but are by definition a non-Christian Cult. I will give some examples of who I am referring to:
- Jehovah’s Witnesses claim to be Christians but theologically are not.
- Mormons claim to be Christians but theologically are not.
- Oneness Pentecostals (UPCI) claim to be Christians but theologically are not.
- Muslims do not necessary claim to be Christians but they do claim to be followers of what Jesus taught. Therefore by conclusion they claim to be followers of what Christ taught and theologically they are deceived.
When a person examines the Bible without any organization or denominational views a person will see what Christians are to believe. When I say, “What do Christians believe?”, I am referring to those who are born again, followers of what Jesus, the prophets and apostles taught. There are many Christian denominations that have the basics of what Christians believe and the following beliefs will be the united doctrines of what Christians believe.
What do Christians believe about God?
- Christians believe that there is only one true God known as Monotheism. (Isaiah 43:10)
- Christians believe that God is the creator of all things. (Genesis 1)
- Christians believe that God is from everlasting to everlasting. (Psalms 90:2)
- Christians believe that God loves mankind in which Jesus came to give His life to offer eternal life to anyone who would receive Him. (John 3:14-21)
- Christians believe that God will reward or judge mankind according to what they have done. (Christians – 2 Corinthians 5:10/ non-Christians – Revelation 20:11-15)
What do Christians believe about the Trinity?
- Christians believe that the Trinity doctrine is Biblical and can be understood.
- Christians believe that the Trinity is the one true God revealed in three distinct persons as the Father, the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit.
- Christians believe that the Father is identified as God. (Galatians 1:3)
- Christians believe that Jesus is identified as God. (John 1:1-3, John 1:14-18, 1 John 1:1-4, 1 John 5:20)
- Christians believe that the Holy Spirit is identified as God. (John 14:16-17, John 16:7-15, Acts 5:3-4, 1 Corinthians 12:4-18, Hebrews 10:15-18)
What do Christians believe about the coming of Jesus Christ?
- Christians believe that Jesus was the Messiah to come, born of a virgin, crucified and rose again bodily on the third day. (Isaiah 7:14, Isaiah 9:6, Isaiah 53, Matthew 1:18-23, Luke 2:10-11, Luke 4:18, Luke 24:39-49, John 2:19-21, John 20:25-29, Acts 2:22-36)
- Christians believe that Jesus is the only way unto the Father. (John 14:6)
- Christians believe that Jesus was the God-man. That means that Jesus was a distinct person from the Father but was by nature God in the flesh. (John 1:1, John 1:14-18, John 5:18-23, John 8:24, John 8:58, John 20:28-29, Philippians 2:5-8, Colossians 2:9, 1 John 1:1-4, 1 John 5:20, Revelation 1:17-18, Revelation 22:12-20)
- Christians believe that Jesus came to reveal the heart of the Father, and that Jesus was grace and truth manifested in the flesh. (John 1:17-18)
- Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the true Savior for mankind and that salvation is found in no one else. (Matthew 10:32-33, John 8:24, John 14:6, Acts 4:12, 1 Corinthians 15:1-17)
What do Christians believe about sin and the need for being saved?
- Christians believe that mankind is fallen with the nature of sin. (Romans 3:23, Romans 5:12-21)
- Christians believe that sin is not mystical or a myth, but that sin is a reality which mankind must be saved from by turning to God’s way of being saved. (Romans 5:8-11, 1 Timothy 1:15)
- Christians believe that sin is lawlessness. That means anyone that goes against what God has revealed to us to live by and trust in. (Romans 14:23, James 4:17, 1 John 3:4)
- Christians believe that all mankind has fallen short to the glory of God and that no one is without sin. (Ecclesiastes 7:20, Romans 3:23, 1 John 1:10)
- Christians believe that salvation is available for anyone to receive. (John 3:14-18, John 5:24, John 20:31, Romans 10:9-13, 2 Peter 3:9, 1 John 1:7-9, 1 John 5:10-13, Revelation 3:20)
In conclusion Christians believe what the Bible teaches in context. These are the basics of what Christians believe and unite on. You may say, “Who made you the authority on what Christians are to believe?” My response is, if a person claims to be Christian than their beliefs will line up Biblically. Many groups that claim to be Christian twist the Scriptures to their own liking and in many circumstances are taught only to believe what their organization teaches, even if it does not line up with the Bible. There are other beliefs of what Christians believe but these are the essentials of what makes a person a true Christian, Biblically. If you have any comments or questions please let us know. God bless you and may you grow in the grace and knowledge our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus.
“but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.” (2 Peter 3:18 NASB)