“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.” (John 5:24 NASB)
The question is asked, What does once saved always saved mean? Once saved always saved is also known as, Assurance of Salvation, Eternal Life in Christ, which means that those who truly come to know Jesus Christ and are born again will never lose their salvation. Within the Christian Church the topic of once saved always saved is controversial.
Once Saved Always Saved means…
- Christians never become unborn again. (Philippians 1:6)
- Christians are kept by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Ephesians 1:13-14)
- Christians will never be snatched out of the Father’s hand. (John 10:28-29)
- Christians can know that they have eternal life, not temporary life. (1 John 5:10-13)
- Christians through their faith in Christ are protected by the power of God and have reservations in heaven. (1 Peter 1:3-5)
The Opposing Views of Once Saved Always Saved
- Christians can lose their salvation by rejecting Christ. (Hebrews 6:4-6)
- Christians can sin to much in which they lose their salvation. (Galatians 5:19-21)
- Christians are kept by God but can by their own will turn from Jesus and lose their salvation. (Hebrews 10:26-29)
- Christians who die with unconfessed sins will be lost and not enter the presence of God.(1 John 1:9)
- Christians can have their names removed from the lamb’s book of life. (Revelation 3:5)
Please visit our “Salvation Doctrine” section on what we believe. May God give you true spiritual discernment concerning this, and please let us know if you have any questions about the good news of Jesus.
“10 The one who believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself; the one who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given concerning His Son. 11 And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. 13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.” (1 John 5:10-13 NASB)