Do I need to be Water Baptized to be Saved? No you do not need to be water baptized to be saved, and I will explain that in the Bible. The Bible teaches that salvation is by faith in Jesus Christ, not by being water baptized. It is clear first that a person is saved by a genuine relationship with Jesus Christ, in which a person has put their complete trust in Him as Lord and Saviour, and they are a new creation in Christ, they are born again. Being water baptized is being obedient to what Jesus taught on being a follower of Him, and identifying with His death and resurrection.
Please explain what the Bible teaches on being water baptized and what being water baptized means. I will explain and prove that the Bible teaches water baptism is not required to be saved or for salvation.
1. Acts 2:38 (baptism represented a new way of life, to repent from the old way of life and to follow Jesus as Messiah and Lord.
2. Acts 10:39-48. (they were water baptized after believing in Jesus and receiving the Holy Spirit)
3. 1 Peter 3:21. (not the removal of dirt from the flesh but a good conscience)
4. Matthew 28:19. (baptized after becoming a disciple)
5. Mark 16:15-16. (a person is not condemned for not being water baptized but for disbelieving in Jesus)
6. 1 Corinthians 1:17-18 (Paul was not sent to baptize but to preach the gospel)
7. Ephesians 1:13-14. (when a person hears the gospel and believes it they become born again and receive the Holy Spirit)
8. Romans 10:9-13. (what is required to be saved is trusting in Jesus’ death, the cross, and His resurrection, and calling upon Him for salvation)
9. 2 Corinthians 5:17. (When a person turns to follow Jesus and become born again, they are now a new creation, a fresh start)
10. 1 Corinthians 12:13. (when someone has become a Christian, they inwardly have become baptized spiritually alive, born again, a new creation, and are now a part of the body of Christ)
11. Acts 17:11. (we are to examine the Scriptures, test what we hear, and follow what the Bible teaches)
The New Testament does not teach that water baptism is necessary to be saved. That is a false teaching among various cults and religions. What is necessary for a person to be saved is to repent and trust in Jesus, receiving Him as their atonement and following Him. In turn they will be water baptized out of obedience to follow Jesus.
It is important for Christians and those desiring to follow Jesus Christ to understand this, that being water baptized (Hebrew Telivah; Greek Baptizo/Baptismo) represents a person who is repenting from the ways of the world and themselves, and putting their trust in Jesus Christ to be saved and have life. When a person was immersed in the Old Testament (Hebrew Tanakh) they would be dipped in a body of living water, (Hebrew Mikvah/Mikveh) representing newness of life. In the New Testament when a person trusts in Jesus and is immersed, (Greek Baptizo/Baptismo) they are committing to a new way of life, turning (repenting) from their past and having a fresh start.
Please subscribe to our channel and share our videos with those you know will benefit from them. Please also share comments and suggestions for other videos.
Berean Perspective Apologetics